Terry McDanel

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Culturgrams - States Edition

Culturgrams - States Edition was a pretty big disappointment. I should have evaluated it more closely before i took a class in to the lab to use it. It has no pictures, no slide show, and very little sound. The readability, in terms of grammar level for ESL, is unnecessarily high: Virginia became a state in... Kentucky obtained statehood... Statehood was given to Ohio... California entered the union... This made the simple question of what year did your state become a state a difficult obstacle

Probably not written by an educator who actually tried using it with students. Little educational software is. Bob suggested it was an after-thought add-on to the more successful world Culturgrams. It is especially disappointing because adding multi-media to it, and bringing the readability down or making it adjustable would be relatively cheap, given what is available for licensing on the Internet.

One fun thing about it was trying to get students to write down the sounds that their state bird makes. It drove them crazy.

Making a good site based on the same idea would be a great wiki project for high school students.

3 Comments:

Blogger D. W-R said...

Terry,
I will pass this along to the CultureGrams rep. They are very receptive to the things that could improve their program. I have also voiced concern about readability levels. This is true of many online AND print materials. I always think I am going to write country books when I retire. Maybe I should just work for one of these companies.
Diane Wallace-Reid

1:20 PM  
Blogger SuperNova said...

I know you were disappointed in the Culture Grams materials. I will look into the World Book site for a better option.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Terry McDanel said...

Diane, when i retire i will not take any job that requires me to leave the shade of a tree.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home